The Fapas Water and Environmental Scheme assesses the performance of laboratories in water and environmental testing sectors.
The scheme satisfies the UK Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) requirements for the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulation 2016: Regulation 16, Appendix 1 for both chemical and microbiological parameters.
Proficiency testing is an essential part of laboratory quality procedures. Taking part gives you confidence in your laboratory equipment, methods and staff, and assurance that you are delivering the quality results demanded by your customers.
Participation can be at a level that suits your business - from taking part in one of our scheduled tests,through to company specific closed tests.
Results from each proficiency test receive rigorous statistical analysis, ensuring you have clear feedback on your performance. Comprehensive reports provide information on analytical methods used by other participants. We can provide problem solving consultancy on your laboratory procedures if required.
There are 10 programmes available under the Water and Environmental scheme offering.
Fapas Water & Environmental offers a comprehensive range of target analytes including:
- Drinking Water Chemistry - for analysis of inorganics, metals and organics.
- Drinking Water Microbiology - for analysis of indicator organisms e.g. total coliforms, enterococci, organism ID.
- Drinking Water Parasitology - Cryptosporidium and Giardia supplied as phosphate buffered saline suspensions.
- Drinking Water Chemical Contamination Emergency - aimed at testing the capabilities of a laboratory to analyse a completely unknown chemically contaminated drinking water sample on an emergency short-term rapid screening basis by identifying the toxic chemical contaminant(s) in a real drinking water sample. Also, a sample for analysis of gross alpha and gross beta radioactivity only is supplied.
- Drinking Water Chemistry Taste & Odour Chemical Identification - aimed at testing the capabilities of a laboratory to analyse a chemically contaminated drinking water sample for completely unknown compound(s) that may produce a taste or odour.
- Environmental Surface Water Chemistry - for analysis of inorganics and metals in clean river, reservoir or lake.
- Environmental Legionella - Analysis of Legionella spp in water.
- Environmental Waste Water Chemistry - for analysis of inorganics, metals and organics in water.
- Environmental Soil Chemistry - Analysis of metals in soil.
- Environmental High Salinity Water Chemistry - full volume simulated seawater samples made using NaCl with salinity of 3.5% for analysis of inorganics and metals.
Participation in Fapas is easy. Arrangements can be made through our network of agents, or via our online shop, fapas.com. Fapas Food Chemistry follows international guidelines for proficiency testing and is accredited by UKAS to ISO/IEC 17043.